This beautiful church nestles into the hillside at the foot of the Cheviot Hills on a site where people have met and worshipped since the ninth century. Parts of the present building date back to the eleventh, twelfth and thirteenth centuries, but it was the fourteenth century which saw the creation of the most striking feature of the building. The chancel floor was raised to provide a crypt for the Clennell family. This has dictated that subsequent developments - particularly the most recent by Durham architect George Pickering in 1852 - have retained plenty of height, an important factor in creating the wonderful acoustic.
The church today is a thriving place of worship serving the needs of all age groups. It also functions as an important focus for community activities, of which this concert series is an example.
St Michael & All Angels Church, Alwinton Chancel Window © Peter Loud
The picture on the right is of the Chancel window at Alwinton Church and is from Peter Loud's Northumbrian Churches website. His site also provides a dramatic 360° panorama of the church interior.
St Michael & All Angels Church, Alwinton © Coquet Valley Pictures